BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Weight loss tracker

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not as good at focusing as I thought

I hopped on the treadmill this afternoon and it was a fight to the finish, not me fighting the treadmill, but me fighting my stupid brain, the one organ of my body that I can't seem to get a handle on, and dammit it would make life so much easier if I could!! GAHHHH!!! I know I can do better I just felt really distracted today. Maybe it was because two of the kids were home "sick" from school and disrupted my daily routine, or maybe it was just me, and my inability to stop the noise, noise, noise, noise (feeling Seuss-like tonight, we just read Green Eggs and Ham), or maybe it was just not a great exercise day and I just need to get over it and move on. It's not even so much the quantity of my treadmill workout, it's that I am so focused on running that whole 5K in July that I really want to get my jogging stretch up to par. I did 1.2 miles the other day and today I only did 1, it feels like a failure, even though I know it's not. Not to make excuses (yeah, I NEVER do that!) but I am super sore from yoga on Wednesday, it's crazy what a great workout that is and I know I pushed myself in class, and today I'm paying for it. I have decided Fridays are going to be treadmill days, too, I'll just have to see how it plays out, I know the original plan I came up with was to do and exercise dvd on Fridays, but honestly, I hate exercise dvd's, not that I will stop buying them, mind you, I have a pretty extensive collection of once and twice used dvd's, I always think they look good and then I'm disappointed, or just lack the motivation to do them. Just another of the great flaws I get to call my own!!!! I love going out to do an exercise class or yoga class, and I have no problem using my treadmill, I just hate the workout dvd's.
So the new schedule for the week will be Sundays-treadmill, Mondays-yoga, Tuesdays-treadmill, Wednesdays-yoga, Thursdays and Friday-treadmill, Saturdays-off, and let me tell you Sundays are hard after working 12 hours shifts on Saturday and Sunday, but I'll just have to push through it.
I actually did some sprints (well, sprint speed for me right now) at 6 mph today and my hip didn't even bother me in the slightest, I couldn't be happier about that!!

Treadmill stats:

Warm up
7.23 minutes
.5 miles at 4.0 to 4.1 mph (mostly 4.1 with a .5 incline)
85.9 calories

Jog/walk
34.32 minutes
2.7 miles
456.8 calories
5 mph for 1 mile straight then alternated 4.0 to 4.1 walks with 5.0 to 6.0 runs for the remaining 1.7 miles.

Totals
41.55 minutes ( not too shabby, I thought my time would be a little longer but I think it compares to Tuesday's workout)
3.2 miles
542.7 calories burned

I took the little girls for a walk after supper, it was windy as all get out, but pretty nice. It feels good to walk and get fresh air. The nicest cat came right up to us out of someone's yard and it was so friendly. Mallory just loved it.

Food log

Breakfast: Nutri grain bar 130 (damn these are coming in handy this week, too much running around the last couple of weeks!)!

Lunch:
Lean Cuisine 250
Broccoli 45

Supper:
Domino's thin crust cheese pizza 600

Snack:
Ritz crackers 80 (stopped munching on these real quick when I saw they were 80 calories for 5 stinkin' crackers...wow!)!!!

Calories for the day 1105 (and that greasy pizza actually made me feel sick)
minus treadmill workout 542.7
=562.3

Am I eating enough calories?? I want to try to hit around 1400 but is my body going to go into starvation mode with the calorie deficit from exercising. You'd think after a lifetime of dieting off and on I'd know this.
Tomorrow is a no calorie counting day. I had a loss this week and if it keeps working I'll keep doing the cheat day on Fridays, within reason of course!!

Gotta go finish the grocery list for shopping tomorrow...boooooo!!!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

I have a hard time focusing on exercise as well. Its so much easier to make excuses NOT to do it! Sounds to me like your doing what you should, so just keep it up and dont be so hard on yourself (I know...listen to my own advise lol). Good luck tomorrow! And thank you for following my blog!

Cassandra said...

Without knowing your age, weight, and height, it's hard to say exactly what you should be eating, but women should *never* drop below the 1200 calorie mark on any day - that's considered the bare minimum of what your body needs not to go into "conserve" mode.

The easiest way to figure out your daily caloric needs is using something like the Harris-Benedict formula. Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) first - this is the number of calories your body uses just to get through the day, without physical activity thrown in.
BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kilos) + (1.8 x height in centimetres) - (4.7 x age in yrs)

Then, multiply that number by your "activity multiplier"
* If you are sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) multiply BMR by 1.2
* If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.375
* If you are mod. active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.55
* If you take heavy exercise (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days per week) multiply your BMR by 1.725

I generally use the moderately active, to be on the safe side.

That will give you the amount you need to MAINTAIN your current weight. To LOSE weight, subtract approximately 500 calories from that number (not dropping below your BMR or 1200 calories), which will allow you a weight loss of about 1 lb per week.

Hope that helps!

Cassandra said...

I also have to say, if you're intending to become a runner, some cross-training (weight-training) would be really beneficial. I was always in the "I want to lose weight, so I'll do cardio" camp, but my trainer (who is a runner) has quickly shown me the error of my ways. Even some simple resistance bands exercises would prove very beneficial to strengthening your legs and your core, which will improve your running.

Julie said...

Thanks!
So if I figured this out correctly and subtract 500 calories it puts me at 1809 calories, that seems like so much to me.
So if I eat 1800 calories per day and burn say 500 on the treadmill, that would lead to more of a loss on the scale, or should I try to eat 1800 no matter what? This is getting technical...lol!!!